EPC For Non-Dwellings

EPC For Non-Dwellings UKBC

Why You Need An EPC For Your Non-Dwelling

You need an Energy Performance Certificate to legally rent or sell most commercial or industrial properties. An EPC for your non-dwellings is important because it tells potential buyers or tenants the cost of running a building. Furthermore, it also shows where energy efficiency improvements could be made. The EU introduced EPCs as part of the 2002 Energy Performance of Buildings Directive and the UK government made them compulsory in 2007.

Upon leaving the EU, the government has highlighted that these rules will be kept. It is also likely that the UK government will make them stricter. However, there are some non-dwellings that do not need an EPC. For example, places of worship or stand-alone buildings of less than 50m2 don’t need an EPC. For further information, contact the team or have a look at our guide to Who Needs an EPC?

EPC For Your Non-Dwelling With UKBC 

In the case of commercial new builds, extensions and conversions, we will issue an EPC towards the end of your project. Once the project is nearly complete, our STROMA accredited engineers will assess your building. This process includes:

  • Checking the Dwelling Emissions Rate (DER) is lower than the Target Emissions Rate (TER) specified by your SBEM calculations.
  • Assessing any changes or updates to the building fabric, heating, cooling or ventilation systems.
  • Assigning a rating from 1–100, with 100 being the most energy efficient and 0 being the least.
  • Log the property into the government’s landmark register to generate the final EPC certificate.

Generally, commercial buildings require an updated EPC every ten years. However, this could be sooner if a major change to the building’s services or fabric. For example, this could be the installation of a new heating or air conditioning system.

Your property must have had a SAP or SBEM Calculation before an EPC can be produced, so if you’re unsure if you have one please contact your architect or speak to one of our team who can explain where you’d find this calculation.